Congratulations to the good people of Winnipeg for, once again, being crowned "The Ultimate Slurpee Consumptors of the World
" - this time on the historic occasion of Slurpees 40th anniversary!
This past year, Winnipeg's 800,000 citizens consumed nearly half a million Slurpees
, beating out the folks of Detroit for top spot. That makes it six years running that 'Peggers have won the glorious title of Slurpee capital of the world.
Man, half a million Slurpees could produce one hella brain freeze!Frozen Fun Facts:
- The frozen, carbonated beverage was first invented in 1959 by a Kansas hamburger stand owner. Using an automobile air conditioner, he created a sophisticated piece of equipment that would freeze a carbonated soft drink and serve it in a sherbet-like form that could be sipped through a straw.
- More than 40 percent of all Slurpee drinks are sold during the sunny summer months of June, July and August.
- 7-Eleven sells enough Slurpee drinks each year to fill up 12 Olympic swimming pools.
- 7-Eleven coined the word BrainFreeze in 1994 to communicate the somewhat painful joy drinking a Slurpee drink brings.
- Since its introduction in 1965, more than 6 billion Slurpee drinks have been sold, just about enough for every single person on the planet to have slurped.
- Today, more than 13 million Slurpee drinks are consumed every month.