A Windsor, Ontario man was awarded $340,000 in damages after suffering a "recognizable psychological injury" for seeing
a fly in a bottle of Culligan water.According to the Windsor Star
, on Nov. 21, 2001 Waddah Mustapha and his wife were "preparing a new bottle of Culligan water to put in their dispenser when she saw something dark in the bottle. Both looked closely and saw legs and wings and realized it was a dead fly". As a result of the incident, Mustapha claims that he suffered severe depression, a loss of his sense of humour, constipation, nightmares, and a phobia of showering that required him to undergo therapy - all this from merely having seen
a fly in a bottle of water.
Certainly seeing a fly in a bottle of water would not be pleasant, but would it really be all that life altering? Could it really cause a person to stop showering? Either this gentleman had a "recognizable psychological injury" prior to this incident that caused him to become so unhinged or his reaction to the incident was excessive. Either way though, it would appear that Americans no longer hold a monopoly on frivolous lawsuits